Did you know that almost 7 million blogs are published on the internet every day? That’s a huge number! Isn’t it? If you are considering jumping into the pool of blogging, then it is highly important now more than ever to learn the right mechanisms required to create effective and valuable posts. The surge in blog posts published online makes it necessary for you to understand the intricacies of how to write a blog. Whether you want to pursue a career in writing, or start blogging as a side-gig and earn some extra bucks, it is important to head in the right direction first.
Today we are going to share an overview of blog writing. We will share some useful tips that will help you craft impressive and valuable blog posts quickly. Moreover, we will be discussing the significance of blogging in the digital era.
Related Post: Best Blog Writing Services
What Is A Blog Post?
A blog post can be best defined as a type of entry within a blog that includes content in the form of texts, videos, images, infographics, etc.
Nowadays, blogging has become a potential tool for businesses, and individual writers in the digitally advanced world. Brands use blogs as a marketing strategy to reach their target audience, increase their online visibility and inform the world about their business. Whereas, an individual writer may use blog writing to build a portfolio to showcase their skills and attract new clients.
Do you notice what’s common in both scenarios? The main goal is to “sell”, whether it’s to sell the products and services, or the skills.
But, why is writing a blog post perceived as an effective platform, despite the wide availability of several other media channels? Let’s find out!
How to Start a Blog?
There’s no doubt that a blog post enables you to enhance your brand awareness and credibility. However, you should know how to start the process effectively to make good posts.
1. Know your audience
Having a clear understanding of your target customers will allow you to write relevant posts. So, find what your audience already knows and what truly resonates with them. Here, creating buyer personas becomes important. They help you to provide relevant information.
For example, suppose your target audience is millennials who want to start a business. In that case, you don’t need to give them information about making a strong presence on social media. They will already know about it. Instead, you can inform them about adjusting their social media methodology to publish content about topics that your customers really want to read.
2. Assess your competition
Your competitors can provide you with both inspirations as well as valuable ideas. So, look at highly reviewed famous blogs. When looking at your competition, find how they are better serving their readers.
Some things you can look for in your competitor’s blog are:
- Visuals – Assess how your rivals brand their blog and the theme and color palette they use.
- Copy – Find their writing style and tone of voice to determine how they create compelling copies.
- Topics – Look at the topics they cover to interact with their readers.
3. Explore the topics you’ll cover
Before penning down anything, find a topic you want to study and write about. It is how you’ll be able to discover your blogging niche. Ask yourself to whom do I want to convey information about a topic and find if the topic is relevant.
4. Find your unique perspective
You can only write successful blogs if you know about your unique perspective. Some questions to identify your unique point are as follows:
- Is there a different experience that makes you a reliable thought leader on a domain?
- What reader’s problems do you resolve?
- Do you want to share your views about current debates or teach them to do something?
- Do you undertake a comparison or just convey authentic research.
5. Find a name for the blog
Discover a name that gives some idea of what people can find in your blog. The name must be easy to say and write. Try to connect the name to your brand message. Find a unique name so that readers don’t get confused.
6. Make a blog domain
A domain is the web address nomenclature’s part. People use it to find your site or a web page online. The domain name of a blog looks like www.yourblog.com. You can also make a subdomain for your blog. If you already have the main domain name, so you can create a subdomain that looks like blog.yourcompany.com. But you must register it with a website host.
7. Pick a CMS to set up your blog
A content management system allows you to create and maintain your site without coding it from scratch. CMS platforms can manage both domains and subdomains. You can go in for a self-hosted WordPress site. Irrespective of domain or subdomain to commence your blog, you’ll need to select a web hosting service after choosing a CMS.
8. Customize your blog
After setting up the domain name, you can personalize your blog’s appearance so it reflects the theme of your content. Your articles should be in line with your website’s appearance and subject. Ensure that your blog has your business logo and an about page.
How to Write a Blog Post?
Writing a good blog post sounds easy to most. But the hard work begins when you actually start writing it. Here are some stepwise instructions that’ll ease your writing process.
1. Know about your buyer person and target audience
You must know what your target audience wants before you start writing. Think about the interests of your buyer persons while you find a topic for the blog. Find issues that are relevant to the needs of your reader. It will trigger them to come back to your blog and find more about the stuff that interests them.
2. Fill the gaps of the current discourse in your chosen topic
Its highly possible that you are writing on a topic about which others have also written. So, your main task is to identify what your competitors have missed while writing. It is what will make your blog unique and will draw in your audience. So, always find what is not written in your domain and cover it comprehensively.
3. Find the kind of blog post you are creating
You can write a variety of blog posts on your niche. All of them follow a distinct format. It’s best to have a variety of all these posts to make your blog engaging. The different formats include the following:
- List-based post
- How post
- Pillar pages
- What is post
- Infographic posts
4. Choose a great title
Titles should be such that your readers are left wanting to know more. However, don’t make the mistake of writing titles that do not convey what’s in the post. Confusing titles turn off people and they’ll probably scroll away from your post. So, brainstorm a few different titles and pick the best one.
5. Make an outline and create H2s and H3s
When you outline, put your main idea and then create points that you want to cover in it. These points become your headings and subheadings. Ensure to put the right keywords in both your headings and the text underneath them.
6. Write your blog
While writing, you should communicate what you already know about the topic. But it’s also good to do more research to gather updated information. Through research, you’ll also gather relevant data, examples, and facts with which you can support your views. While writing, don’t forget to show your unique personality. Don’t make your blogs strictly informational. You can put some humor in it to keep them interesting.
7. Proofread properly
Proofreading is important to creating a quality blog post. Today, you can find various tools like Grammarly and Hemingway to edit your work. By removing grammatical and spelling mistakes, you will refine your blog posts further. It will also help you to find an area where you can add or remove information.
8. Focus on the visual appearance
No one would like to read a blog filled with dense text. So, apart from formatting, you must also insert graphics in it. Pictures break the monotony of huge pieces of text. Insert screenshots with similar and defined borders. Besides, insert tags so that readers can explore more content in a single category. However, do not add excessive tags. Choose 10 to 20 tags that represent your theme and stick to them.
9. Upload content in the CMS
After writing optimized blog content, you must upload it into your CMS. You can also choose to post immediately or save it as a draft. The latter will allow you to adhere to your posting schedule.
10. Add call to actions
Call to action or CTAs encourages people to take an action. Essentially, you can consider them as the next steps your readers will take. Some CTAs include asking your audience to:
- Subscribe to your newsletter
- Join a community online
- Study about a topic via downloadable content
11. Optimize content for SEO
It’s essential to optimize the on-page components of a post. Some of the main things to optimize include the following:
- Meta description – It’s a short summary of the content. These should not be more than 150 to 160 characters.
- Page titles and headers – There should be a working title that includes keywords. Apart from that, you should also have headlines in your post. All these make the whole blog SEO-friendly and well-formatted.
- Write alt text for images – Alt text informs the why of a picture as it links to your blog content. When you add alt text, search engines can direct searchers towards you.
- Keep the post mobile-friendly – You must optimize the post for mobile view. For it, structure the post in short paragraphs and headings. Use bulleted points and SEO best practices.
What Makes a Good Blog Post?
Before writing, ask yourself what you are giving readers through this post. A great blog post is informative and interesting. Blogs answer people’s queries and help them solve their problems. But they do so engagingly. So, don’t just answer the reader’s questions. Give them specific steps they can take.
From start to end, keep your blog post interesting. So, ensure to create an introduction that hooks the reader from the start. It should pull their interest to continue reading your blog. You should also use examples so that your readers stay interested and motivated to find what you have to say.
If you give the answer to your reader’s questions in a dull and boring way, they won’t come back to your blog again. So, it’s important to keep your post exciting throughout. At the same time, write in an easy-to-understand language. Make small sentences instead of longer ones, as the latter only confuses people. Your sentences should be such that your audience does not have to try too hard to understand them.
Below are some effective blog writing tips you can use while writing your posts.
- Do adequate research to communicate your point properly.
- Break your content into small paragraphs and sections. Each section should talk about only a single idea.
- Put interesting facts or quotes to drive your point across to your readers.
- Include graphics or videos and images. They break the monotony of text and maintain the reader’s interest.
- Every sentence should convey only a single idea.
- Use online tools like Grammarly to eliminate grammatical mistakes.
Related Post: Blog outline Template
Marketing And Blog Post Writing: The Real Connection
Let us quickly help you understand how writing a blog post helps businesses and serves as an excellent marketing tool.
Write A Killer Blog: The Perfect Blog Writing Format
The foundations of a blog post lie in its formatting structure. Hence, it is important to first understand how to create a blog and format it, before learning the blog writing process and tips.
After all, the format plays a huge role in the marketing world as it concerns the appearance of your post. So, let’s start.
- Attention-getter headline: The headline or title of your blog has to be strong as well as interesting enough to encourage the audience to check out your post. Always include your main keyword in the heading to appear in the web search results.
- Use sub-headings: The sub-headers instantly create a visible difference in the content and increase the readability. Diving the content into various sections under relevant sub-headings not only makes it look organized but also appeals to the readers.
- Use bold texts: Go bold with your texts to highlight a point or sentence in the blog post. It works as an amazing tactic to hold the reader’s attention.
- Keep the paragraphs short: If you want to learn how to write a blog for any website, the most useful tip would be writing short paragraphs. It helps in targeting a specific topic within a certain paragraph, which increases the emphasis of the idea you want to address. So, avoid lengthy paragraphs as they seem outright unappealing to the audience.
- Use lists or bullet points: Filling your entire write-up with piles of information divided into multiple paragraphs might not help you in effectively communicating your ideas. A better way would be to include bullet points to discuss significant points. Not only it looks appealing but also serves as an efficient way to put forth what’s important.
- Strong introduction: Most people get stuck as they don’t know how to start a blog, and what would be the appropriate approach for doing it. The key is to write an introductory paragraph that informs the audience about what they can expect from the post. Moreover, it has to compel the readers to read further.
- Conclusion: A lot of times bloggers make the huge mistake of not adding a conclusion while wrapping up their post. The concluding paragraph is where you present a summary of your entire write-up. So, it quickly helps them understand what the content is all about.
- CTA: Call-to-action is a potentially strong, yet often overlooked aspect of quality blog writing format. It could be about promoting a product or service by adding a link or encouraging your readers to comment and share your post.
- Utilize social sharing in your favor: What could be a better use of a blog post than increasing your outreach and audience on the social media platforms? Don’t shy away from linking your social buttons to the blogs to enable easy sharing options for the audience.
Related Post: why your business needs a blog
The tips and tricks on How To Write A Blog don’t come in one day it takes years of research and experience to come up with a guideline to have expertise in it. You’ll fail many times, your page will not rank, you won”t get many readers these thing happen at first but once we get to know the tips and tricks of th trade it all comes naturally to us.
So, before you go any farther down on writing a blog , make sure you know how to write a blog.
The good news is that you can learn how to write good blog entries with the complete guide that we have assembled for you guys and we can say it with full surety that it will make you rise the blog writing services arena and make you a formidable opponent.